Wednesday, March 18, 2015

I'm 33 and I just joined AARP...for the discounts!

Yesterday my husband told me that his client, who is not over age 50, is a member of AARP, the American Association of Retired Persons (www.aarp.com). With his membership, he saves money on various things. While I am not retired, I AM always looking to save money. So I started doing research and these are my findings...

This national advocacy group for older Americans has been sued numerous times for age discrimination. Now anyone can join and become a member of the organization, despite age.

I joined today for 5 years with an associate membership (for people under 50 years old.) This costs $63 ($12.60 per year.) With this membership, they do not mail you a membership card. However, you can print out a membership certificate which you can then present to receive the following  beneficial discounts...
  • 30 % off eyewear from Lenscrafters and Pearl Vision
  • 30% off select accessories from Consumer Cellular
  • 20 % off ADT home alarm installation
  • $2 off ADT monthly monitoring fees
  • 10% off car rentals
  • 10 % off hotel stays
  • 5% off monthly bill with Consumer Cellular (https://www.consumercellular.com/https://www.consumercellular.com/)
This is kind of a special deal not many people know about. To my knowledge, you can't sign up online. I would call in and set up your membership. You can call AARP at (888) 687-2277. People under age 50 are not eligible for all AARP discounts, but for a full list of membership and benefits, check out this page on their website...http://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts/services_discounts_list/

I think this is worth it! There's no shame in this old lady's game! 







No comments:

Post a Comment