Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Boosting your milk supply...


Like every Mom does at some point, I've been concerned my daughter wasn't getting quite enough milk lately.  She HAS been gaining weight at all of her check ups, but she is only 20th percentile for her weight. I was convinced my supply was dwindling when I pumped one day recently and only got 1.5 oz. (total from both breasts) in 15 minutes, when I typically get 4 oz. in 10 minutes. 

I have been away from Gracie for work a lot lately, and not breastfeeding as much. I'm trying to pump during the day, but sometimes 3 hours go by and I haven't pumped. So then I'll go 4 hours...Or five! Ugh!

And now that she's sleeping through the night, I started to as well.  I wouldn't wake up to pump even though I set my alarm. I must be really tired.  My milk was tapering off. I became desperate...She needs milk! My friend Lauren, who's a nurse at Little Spurs Pediatric Urgent Care, told me about these Milkmaker cookies. Her best friend swore by them. I really didn't think shoveling cookies down my throat was a good idea when I'm trying so hard to lose weight, but I was willing to try anything. I ordered them and read that the main ingredients they contain that are help in boosting milk supply are oats and Brewers yeast. 

I bought oatmeal and ate a bowl for breakfast the last 2 mornings. 
I received the cookies Monday. (I ordered them on Amazon...  http://www.amazon.com/Milkmakers-Oatmeal-Chocolate-Lactation-Cookies/dp/B00A3J1RB4). I've eaten one a day for 3 days.  The good news is they work! 
I pumped yesterday for 4 minutes and got 4 oz. (2 from each boob.) This is a new record for me! I decided to keep going. In 15 minutes, I got 8 oz. Hooray!!



So if you need to boost your milk supply, try the Milkmakers cookies, drink beer, eat oatmeal, and drink plenty of water! 

Whatever you do, don't take a decongest or an allergy medicine for your allergies. It may dry your milk up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment